Thursday, May 13, 2010

Mushroom Fajitas and Weightloss Woes

I'm thinking that something fun to do with this blog would be to post a recipe with each post. I'm liking this idea.

I've apparently got some posts backed up in my brain since I haven't been blogging for 10 months. Time to clean this brain out!

So, as I mentioned in a previous post many months ago, I went veggie. It lasted a solid six months. Until I moved back to Texas. I'm sorry veggie folks, the meat was just too much of a temptation. It tastes better than the stuff in North Carolina. And I wasn't getting the weight loss results that I wanted on the all-veggie diet.

I've gone mostly meatless. I eat meat, mostly chicken or fish, about once a day. Sometimes less. It's working. I guess I'm discovering what most people have to discover on their weight loss journey: it's about balance.

But I found lots of fun, low-calorie, low-fat, low-cholesterol recipes while doing the veggie thing, so I'm going to share them.

As for the weight loss, it's holding steady for now. I was a jaw dropping 180 when I got back from my honeymoon. In my defense, it was a 7-day Caribbean cruise. Those ships are like floating feed troughs. It was inevitable that weight would be gained (about 4 pounds). It was like vacationing on the Borg cube. Resistance is Futile! But, you know, with stunning blue water and snorkeling.

Now I'm fighting to get those pounds back off. I have about 1.5 pounds to go to get back to pre-cruise weight.

Hubby and I are back in Kung Fu classes, which we skipped the entire month of April because of the wedding and honeymoon. That is helping. And I'm trying to eat healthy. We'll see if I can pull it all together. Although, the chocolate peanut butter brownie I had for dinner last night is laughing at me and saying "Yeah, right!"

Here's what I'll be having for dinner tonight:

Portabello Fajitas:


Ingredients:
3 large portobello mushrooms
Olive oil
1 Bell pepper (any color)
Salt
Pepper
Garlic
Tortillas
Sour Cream
Grated cheese

1. Pre-heat oven to 400.

2. Clean portobello caps and remove stems. Slice into thin strips (about 1 inch wide) and place on a cookie sheet.

3. Brush olive oil on mushroom strips and sprinkle salt, pepper and garlic evenly over strips.

4. Place in oven and bake 10 minutes.

5. Slice bell pepper in to strips.

6. Combine bell pepper and olive oil in a skillet and bring to medium heat. Cook until peppers are flexible and soft.

7. Combine peppers, mushrooms and the desired amount of sour cream and cheese in a tortilla and enjoy this tasty substitute for fajitas. Reduced fat versions of the dairy products and even the tortillas are available.

I secretly like these fajitas better than the ones made of beef or chicken because then I don't get meat stuck in my teeth.

No comments: